Powered By Blogger

Monday, October 2, 2017

CC#22: Fried fish with pineapple salsa

Two weekends ago, I chanced upon the largest sardines (I had ever seen) at the wet market, and promptly brought one home with me and it stayed in the freezer till now.  Still very fresh and firm and here it is, paired with a delicious pineapple salsa!

Salsa was made with half of small piece of garlic, finely chopped, lime zest and juice, one red bird eye chili - deseeded and finely chopped, and chopped cilantro. Mixed well with the cubed pineapples, and leave to chill in the fridge while you fry the prepped fish.
Making a dry rub of a splash of light soy sauce, grated garlic and grated ginger ~ rub this all over the fish (seasoned with salt and pepper) including the cavity and the slits. I cut four bay leaves into smaller pieces to fit the size of the fish, inserted them into the cavity and the slits.  Fried the fish in peanut oil for five minutes on each side.  

At first, I thought I would need to add a few splashes of hot sauce... but that pineapple salsa was juicy and sweet, and so spicy, that I did without!  Yumms!  Perfectly sized meal for one!
~*~
from pages 292-293 of River Cottage Fruit every day! 
River Cottage Fruit every day by Hugh Fernley-Whittingstall
~*~
I am co-hosting Cookbook Countdown together with Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.  If you are like, who love to collect cookbooks and have an overcrowding bookshelf (or bookshelves!), yet most of the books have not been used at all, now is the time to change that.  Join us at Cookbook Countdown! 

3 comments:

Zosia said...

That salsa sounds fantastic. I recently made one with mango, also to serve with fish, and I loved the play of sweet fruit with lime and chili.

Emily said...

Yes, Zosia ~ fruit do makes a nice change.

kitchen flavours said...

What a great pairing! Love this meal of yours!